Sanibel Island is a peaceful paradise off the South West coast of Florida, near Ft. Myers. Sanibel is a delightful blend of comfort and wilderness. It has a small town atmosphere yet offers a vast variety of recreation. You can take a morning kayak trip through a jungle of mangroves and then have a delicious lunch of fresh grouper at Lazy Flamingo. Sanibel Island is a perfect place for photography, shelling, fishing, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, windsailing, boating, tennis, golf and nature study. 2/3 of the island is the Ding Darling Wildlife Sanctuary. Sanibel’s beaches have been acclaimed for world-class shelling.
What makes Sanibel Island unique?
- No traffic lights
- No billboards
- No fast food chains (except a Dairy Queen grandfathered in that looks retro)
- Mild tropical climate, average highs vary from 72 F in January to 90.5 F in August
- 22 miles of paved paths where you can bike, walk, run or rollerblade and most everything is accessable by the paths
- Mangroves and part of the Great Calusa Blueway Paddling Trail, where you can kayak or canoe and see thousands of birds and animals
- Shell-strewn beaches unspoiled for miles
- Fishing and boating
- Unique shopping
- Fine restaurants, although most are casual dress
- 60% of the island is Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, complete with a nature center and shell museum
- no building higher than 3 stories
on a Trimaran , rented at Captiva Marina
Our favorite coffee shop , good breakfasts too !
Sanibel Aerial View
Kayaking with a guide in the backwaters of Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge
Constructed in 1884, 51 years after Sanibel pioneers first petitioned the federal government for a light.
On a 34 foot Beneteau
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974
RC Otters on Captiva
Biking to the Sanibel Marina
Periwinkle Place Shopping Center !
Bubble Room on Captiva Island
Periwinkle Place...Great place for unique shopping !
22 miles of paved trails for biking or exercising !
Renting a Trimaran at a little marina on Captiva
22 miles of paved trails for biking, exercising
Sanibel Canal by the Marina
Pinocchios Homemade Ice Cream...my favorite is the Sanibel Crunch
Group effort on a Surry !
Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island
Ding Darling Wildlife Sanctuary
Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge established in 1945
Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge, a photographer's paradise!
Mangrove-enriched bays treat wading birds to a full breakfast when tide is low
Egrets and herons
This crab is larger than it looks !
Spotted this guy right outside our condo !
Walking trails leading to the historic Sanibel Lighthouse
The Sanibel Lighthouse
One of our favorite restaurants on the island , Gramma Dots at Sanibel Marina... the fresh grouper is soooo good !